Friday, August 18, 2006

A lot of time has passed since my move from California to Brooklyn, and I must admit... it's been a bit more difficult than I expected. After five years and having space and time to expand my person, to discover and like new and hidden things about myself, after five years of having access to great, healthy and clean food 24-7, of having a group of friends who believe in inventing and exploring new ways to experience one self, it is HARD to return to the most wonderful city in the world.

Very hard.

I love NYC. It is... absolutely thrilling and stimulating and maddening and deafening [and i mean that literally and figuratively]. I love the constant mobility here. I love the theater and the theater artists and the theater participants. I love the films and the film artists and the film goers. I love discovering new and trendy eateries and lounges in and around 7th and 10th Avenues in Manhattan, and Smith Street in Brooklyn.

But what I miss most is... me. Somewhere in this transition into a more creative and intellectual stimulation I've lost me. Not me and my beliefs or convictions or self-awareness. That is in tact and quite thrilling. But I've lost the me who deeply needs space and sky and mountain and ocean and desert. And I miss him.

It's a crazy time for the world. And for me. Navigating one's life can be the most frigthening and bountiful gifts humans can ever receive.

Until next time,

Keith

1 Comments:

At 4:05 PM, Blogger Lawrence said...

It's why I have a love/hate relationship with Southern California. I grew up here, so everyday is Groundhog Day, but I still enjoy being thirty minutes from ocean, mountains, and desert. And being able to escape to those places, at any time, is invaluable. I think that's why California represents a place of possibilities. Every time you visit one of those areas, you see how small you are in a vast space.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home