Sunday, June 11, 2006

Whew! What a week!

I made my deadline! Actually, I asked for two more days to turn in the draft of the script and the kind folks obliged. So for now, I'm all about R and R. Well, until Tuesday morning when I leave for Vassar College for a one-week writing residency and a workshop of a new play. But for the next two days it's all about me, my sandals, my sunglasses and some cool spot to chill in Fort Greene, or Williamsburg.

Being back in New York City has been mind-blowing. Not only has it gotten younger and whiter and cleaner, but there are more high-rise condo towers than I can count. Donald Trump has a luxury condo tower going up at Central Park North [formerly known as 110th Street for those die-hard Harlemites]. And bicycles. There are bicycles everywhere you wink. Which is great for me 'cause I love bike riding. It's a matter of life and death. Like it's mandatory I drink water; it's also mandatory I ride my bike. But... this time around in good ole NYC most of the bike riders are riding ANTIQUE BIKES. I'm talking the kind of bikes folks rode in the 60s and 50s. With baskets. And these bicyclers are riding in Jimmy Choos and the best in men's Italian and... flip flops. The thing to do in NYC is to ride antique bicycles in the lastest and trendiest [and sometimes most expensive] footwear.

Wow.

And as I walking up Gates Avenue in my beautifully tree-lined neighborhood of Clinton Hills I couldn't help to hope that one day soon NYC will be much like Amsterdam, a city that transports itself on bikes.

Until next time,

Keith

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home