Wednesday, May 10, 2006

A few months ago my friend Reggie called and expressed high enthusiasm about a documentary called African American Lives which featured Dr. Henry Louis Gates exploring the genealogy of Oprah Winfrey, Chris Tucker, Quincy Jones, etc. And being the genealogist that I am, I TIVO-ed it.

When I sat down and listened to Henry Louis Gates explore his family history as well as the other "celebs", I was overwhelmed with excitement. I am a genealogist [not professionally, but my craft is sharp] and I could easily give up all that I'm doing and just explore family histories. I'm quite fascinated by African American genealogy, not just because I'm African-American, but because I believe we should all know who were are. Most of the citizens of this world know their origins, their forefathers and -mothers, and most folks have pride [or hate] for their documented heritage stretching beyond the Atlantic and Pacific, but African-Americans' history allegedly begins here in the States. The day they landed on these shores, destined to become enslaved or indentured or free by certificate but shackled by color. But we are so much more than that. Slavery in the Americas is only a part of our experience on the globe. And 200 years from now [if the globe is still what it is today—although I don't think it will, but anyway]... 200 years from now if the globe is still what it is today our testament as African-Americans will be larger and slavery will be only a chapter in our experience [a thoroughly examined chapter in a book that begins with Lucy, the first recorded human being, to the ambitious Abubakar the Second who sent sailors across the Atlantic guided by the trade winds to discover "other life" to the Jones Family and their urgent exodus into Ohio due to unmerciful racist laws of early 19th century Carolina to Michael Jordan to the first leader of the newly-colonized Mars].

It's important the history of African-Americans be given the dimension it deserves. Which is why I decided to get my DNA tested, determine the percentage of my ancestry, find out who was forever linked to my Y-Chromosome and my MTdna. I want to know WHAT I am.

Over the weekend the results arrived: a white man from the British Isles is linked to my Y-Chromosome. I'm about 78 percent sub-saharan African; about 19 percent European; and about 3 percent Native American. Give or take a few. I'm not surprised by these results. I'm clearly of African-descent [by way of experience as well as other contributes: lips, color, hair, ETC]; the European is evident in my mother's people with their hazel-blue that and sandy-red this and pale-white legs "that need some sun". But the Native American element is a complete mystery. My grandmother's family has long rumored to be part Jewish but maybe the Jewish-looking folk were actually Native. My grandfather's mother once told me her father was half Cherokee; her 100 year old sister later denied any Indian blood and said their father was half White. My father's 98 year old aunt claims her grandfather, Henry Clay Adkins, was the Indian. But I had to inform her that the white man from the British Isles linked on the Adkins' male Y-Chromosome was the father of my father's father father father, good ole Henry Clay.

Fascinating.

But then came dinner last night with Aida and Tracey where I was thrown into a tailspin. Aida suggested something mind-altering: the British man linked on my Y-Chromosome could have be a rapist. A rapist? Of course. I know my mother's family had a history of white women and black men unions circa 1800s, but in eastern Georgia, where the Adkins originated, enslaved men and women were worked to death, literally. Well... rape would have be standard in that kind of ruthless environment [forced or expected].

Then I thought of this: No matter how we evolve, us Adkins men, where we go, the children we sire, the books we read, the spiritual journeys we take, a white British man who could have been a rapist is forever-linked to our DNA, and that's deep.

I'm still expecting the results from my mother's line. The originial mother of my mother's mother mother mother, etc.
I hope it's an African woman. So I can at least know what region of Africa some of my ancestors lived and loved. Not only will that specify my ancestry, it will also make for some damn good conversation.

Until next time,

Keith

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home