Thursday, May 03, 2007

My good friend [and novelist] Nichelle Tramble emailed me yesterday to say: UPDATE YOUR BLOG! And when Nichelle Tramble comments on something it means to take note and take action.

So, here's the deal: Lately I've been writing like a mad man. I've written my first offical short story in over 15 years. And I'm in the middle of another one. I haven't been so excited by writing in a very long time. Which is why I haven't been blogging lately. Most of my creative energy is being dumped into the short stories. And the two plays I'm rewriting.

And the Tribeca Film Festival. I've attended two films so far. Descent with Rosario Dawson [about a college co-ed who's date-raped and the spirals down to nothing, well not before seeking revenge], and The Bubble [an alternative love story set in present day Tel Aviv between a Palestinian and an Israeli.

And last night I saw this amazing AMAZING amazing AMAZING play/musical called PASSING STRANGE. It's written by this triply-amazing musician/writer named Stew. With Colman Domingo, Eisa Davis, Daniel Breaker. PASSING STRANGE follows the life of one middle-class black kid who opposes the traditions of the black middle class and black iconography, and travels to Europe to carve out his own unique identity. It was really wonderful. It's so rare to see a play [or movie] that explores the lives of African Americans who live alternative lifestyles. So rare. And I'm so grateful for this beautiful play.

If you're in NYC, check it out. NOW! But for now listen to one of those songs: LOVE LIKE THAT


Until next time,

Keith

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home