Monday, March 19, 2007

You know what's interesting?

When you work very hard at self-value and self-driven accomplishment; when you do everything in your daily power to overcome doubt and self-imposed fear; when you realize that your very soul, your very earthly presence relies on how far you step into your light and sincerely realize you belong there, and then, a bolt of vicious lightening from what looked like a friendly cloud comes crashing down to split you in half, hoping to scatter your valued pieces among the ruins of unsatisfied lives.

I'm talking about other people's attempt to shoot you down off of your well-earned cloud. How they literally laugh at your pursuits; fold their arms in defense when you speak your name out-loud. How, for whatever calculated reason, they rather pull apart every vertebrae and artery that encases your soul.

In my lifetime, I've embraced many who fit this profile. The kind of person who you meet, and instinctively you feel compromised by them, daggers even, but you brefriend them anyway because you're lonely, or conditioned in a culture to accept insanity as institution. Or maybe, you're a sucker for charm. Or you've dedicated your life to finding pure friendship, that in your heart, you know it exists somewhere deep, and maybe even in them. Or you hope it's just a phase they're going through—the viciousness—and they don't really mean to show happy teeth but cruel eyes when you tell them you've just sold a screenplay, or commissioned to write a stage play, or that you're just happy.

You know what's interesting?

When you tally up enough self-worth to sincerely realize those people are in your way. And the light that you so deserve to step into, has been darkened by their conditional friendship. And you realize you don't have the time anymore to dance in half-light just to keep them happy in the dark. That you finally have yourself, and that true friendship doesn't feel so... conditional.

Oh yeh, thank the Stars for YOU.

By the way, check out this new group I discovered. Tresspassers William. They move me.

Until next time,

Keith

2 Comments:

At 3:28 PM, Blogger Lola Moco said...

For me, I have shed those kinds of people but it was hard, and took time. Even now, they are the kinds of people who want to befriend me, and I have to remind myself that just because someone wants to be my friend does not mean that I have to be their friend - it's not an obligation, I have a choice. fondly, dolores p.s.Kevin and I miss you and wish you congrats on your festival! Wish we could be there!

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Gemini Girl aka GG said...

I have a few of these types in my life...unfortunately one is on my staff...no matter how much she tells me she supports me and wants me to succeed I feel here pushing me down...the best I could do is work when she's not...sucks all the energy out of me and once I've seen her I have to try extra hard to stand up tall and believe in myself and my decisions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home