Friday, December 22, 2006

Hey People.
The following is a letter I wrote to the Editor of Esquire Magazine.
It's a response to John Ridley's December 2006 article MANIFESTO OF ASCENDANCY FOR THE MODERN AMERICAN NIGGER.

John Ridley: Screenwriter for THREE KINGS, UNDERCOVER BROTHER. He also wrote BARBERSHOP THE SERIES on Showtime.

Read the Article.

John Ridley's rant about the unwillingness of poorer Blacks he deems as “Niggers” to succeed is a sad state of affairs. I certainly believe there should be a serious national discussion about poorer blacks in this country. And I certainly believe many of our inner-cities where poorer blacks live are suffering from black on black violence, a disregard for mediocre [if not bankrupt] public education, and a high-rate of teen pregnancy. But it is a stale mind that can only view these conditions as an eyesore. As a constant stab in the side of so-called accomplished blacks like Condi, Powell and Ridley. It's a cowardly man who blames a marginalized people [descended of kidnapped then dehumanized Africans] for their complete unwillingness to take advantage of all that our Civil Rights fore-parents laid out. [Ridley’s suggestion, not mine].

Where is Ridley's compassion? He is artist, is he not? Where is his understanding that some poorer blacks have a difficult time because they have darker skin; that they must constantly compete for social and financial recognition with lighter-skinned blacks or so-called more Anglo-looking or –behaving blacks. Look at Hollywood, Mister Ridley. Look at Hollywood.

Or what about that some black boys are targeted as children to fail. That at seven or nine years old they are policed, or harassed by teachers. And by the time they're twelve they are so traumatized by this consistent dehumanizing they give up hope and trust nothing or no one. I taught fourth-grade in California, I’ve seen it.

What about a group of people dealing with historical trauma and not having the skills,or resources to help overcome a society that views them as an eyesore, or an economic strain, or a means to entertain via athletics and broad comedy. It's one thing to point out the accomplishments of Condi and Powell as a way to separate the person from the crimes? I wasn’t sure of Ridley’s point here. But, hell, I come from accomplished people. My great-uncles were some of the first black students to study classical piano at Cincinnati's Conservatory of Music. My cousin was once president of Norfolk State University. My family are descendents of one of the few free families of color in the state of Kentucky prior to 1820. Teachers, barbers and musicians decades before Emancipation. Some even owned slaves that were NOT their family members. We are a people of many accomplishments and demons long before post-Civil Rights. And to give a litany of Condi and Powell's accomplishments just adds to a list already in existence: Booker T. Washington, Harriet E. Wilson, P.B.S Pinchback, etc.

I think Ridley misses the point of his own point. Is it a question that so-called “niggers” are willing participants in their own destruction? Maybe. Are so-called successful “blacks” deserving of praise even if they’re helping to ruin American democracy? Maybe. But what is clear is that all African-Americans are descended from an enslaved experience and most of us carry a legacy of trauma that we may or may not be aware of [including Ridley]. And that as long as we blame one for the other’s difficulty in being viewed as “presentable” to “The Man”, we will always be viewed as crabs in the barrel.

Yes, there are many problems in our society, and the economic and social conditions of poorer blacks is just one of them. But to suggest that poorer blacks are simply “niggers” with an unwillingness or an impulse to succeed in this country is one of the most elitist notions I’ve heard since Cosby and his rant about poorer blacks and their “creative” names.

Until next time,

Keith

2 Comments:

At 2:14 AM, Blogger Alexander said...

There are certainly some points in his piece that are valid and very complex and layered and should be worked through by all of us. That's why it's rather sad(at least sad)to see him paint with such a ridiculously broad bush and make up these absurd self-serving observations. Like how do you blame Condi & Colin not getting recondition for Hanna on black people rioting? It's the fault of the "niggers" - as if suddently the world, the news in America can't handle more than one event happening at the same time. Huh?! I don't mind the critique of black people and our shit. I feel a distance and aleination from the folks he is referring to as "niggers" myself. I'm tried of the excuse of victimization. But when you are so clouded by the need to put down the "niggers" in order to show (mostly to white people) how elevated you are that you then just make up and ignore shit... that's not acceptable. It is not the fault of the so called "niggers" that Condi & Colin don't get their just aknowldgement.
But if he were to lodge his complaint for the lack of recognition for C&C against the real perpetrator he would sound and look like Jesse or Rev Al cause he would be complaining about the very administration. He would be complaining about how the media shifts from two accomplish blacks to rioting as if that's the only thing going. But if he did that, even though that is the truth, he would sound like a "nigger"

 
At 3:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe this discourse is necessary for healing. The division between Mr. Ridley's so-called "niggers" and the "rest of us" (educated, assimilated, bi-lingual and multi-cultural) is a fact of life in this country. Daily, I am confronted with the option to feel embarrassment about the way some brothers and sisters behave in public. I used to believe that behavior reflected badly upon me. That somehow, I'd be lumped in with them and subsequently deemed lesser than, wholly irrelevant (to whom..?). I used to believe that with iron clad conviction until I took a good look inside my heart, in search of the source of frustration and habitual shame.

Self-hatred, that destroyer of worlds, greeted me warmly at the door.

Lack of self-acceptance has been the motivating factor in my craving to create distance from the less privileged among us. My drive, all my successes and accomplishments have been fueled as much by a desire to distance myself from the underclass as it has been to smash stereotypes. The goal was to be seen as "regular" or "normal" in the eyes of those who held the keys to the kingdom. I regarded "intangibles" such as joy, contentment and happiness as purely incidental.

Lately, though, I've made some changes. I've become more selfish and focused inward. I'm discovering my gifts so I can offer them to the world. It's less about what people think and more about how I feel. Now all that counts is joy, happiness and being well. Not only are they a real destination, but they're the journey too. Being caught up in the world outside causes far to much pain. Besides, I have no control over it anyway.

It is a universal truth that it's not possible to control the thoughts, actions, beliefs and behaviors of another (neither black nor white nor any other shade of gray). I cannot know to any certain degree what another thinks, feels or believes about me, regardless of how I'm dressed or which name dropping institution of higher learning I still owe money to.

So since I cannot control anyone or anything beyond my own borders, if "niggers" was act up and cause a ruckus, let 'em. Who am I to say they'd be happier, more well adjusted souls by acting the way I "think" they should? The same goes for the likes of the accomplished, much misunderstood Condi & Colin: if what they do brings them bliss, more power to them.

It's their choice to live as they do, just as it is our choice to decide how we feel about it. Love needn't be so difficult...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home