Wednesday, June 06, 2007

For those of you who know me know that I was born and raised in Cincinnati, Ohio. For those of you who know anything about Cincinnati, Ohio know that it sits on the far eastern edge of the Bible Belt [what I sometimes call Born Again Christian-dom]. For those of you who've spent more than two hours with me know that I had a scalding, unsavory experience growing up among relatives who believed Christ's Return was far more urgent than a grandmother's double by-pass, or a child's dream to be a writer.

Which slips me into this: I saw an amazing play-slash-performance piece entitled HORIZON. It just opened at the New York Theater Workshop, and I must admit, it's one of the most savory experiences I've had in the theater in quite some time.

Rinde Eckert is the mind and soul behind this piece, and if you're anything like me—seeking to reclaim the identity that Christian relatives took away, you'll enjoy this theatrical meditation on the meaning of sin, guilt, close-mindedness, and why we humans spend much more time suppressing our humanity and then literally stomping out other's desire to be human... than actually just living in the world.

HORIZON by Rinde Eckert. Go see it.

Until next time,

Keith

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home