Friday, July 06, 2007

Tyler Perry and his Art of Pain.

I must admit: I have never been a Perry advocate. I find his plays and movies trite and thin, archaic and blatantly buffonish. And I've been overly concerned about a certain sector of the black community who finds his "art" interesting, moral, funny and a reflection of the modern black experience.

A few years ago I saw a Perry play [on DVD] for the first time and I was impressed by his comic talent and timing. But I found his subject matter and structure to be a world foreign to my experience as a man of color raised in a working-class suburb of a Midwestern city with Catholic roots.

A friend of mine recently made an interesting comment about Perry. She said it was like being fed shit. Like the powers that be decided black folks will eat anything [watch anything]. She said it was reminiscent of the black community being fed the part of the pig that nobody wanted.

I agree.

I certainly don't think Perry should be removed from the world of entertainment. His right as a capitalist to make money off of the blind and misinformed consumer is his constitutional right as an American citizen. His mansion and 100-episode deal with TBS are prime examples of him taking advantage of that right.

However, like any other capitalist [disgusing themselves as moral or righteous or a cultural custodian] Perry is not immune to resistance or criticism, hell, even cultural assasination.

As an artist and entertainer, I am very interested in pushing the buttons of society and asking society to rethink its values and traditions and be willing to make change in order to make a healthier world. And the idealist and romantic in me continues to hope that society wants that for itself, and that it's willing to do whatever it takes to ensure a better place for all. And if that requies them to look at something like Tyler Perry Inc [or Disney, or the American theater] and challenge it and criticize it, so be it.

We should all be invested in creating a more profound and truthful world, by any means.

Until next time,

Keith

4 Comments:

At 12:19 AM, Blogger Nicole J. Butler said...

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree! Whenever I voice this opinion, I am inevitably met with accusations of "hatin'" and "try'n' to keep a brotha down", but I think supporting someone just because he or she is black is as much of a disservice as NOT supporting someone because he or she is black. He has the right to sell whatever people will buy, but I will continue to exercise my right to decide whether or not what is being sold is worth buying.

None for me, thanks.

 
At 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like his work. I think the storyline could be better and the subject matter expanded. Still, I do agree with some of the criticisms of the gospel plays.Your criticism applies to alot of what passes for black media.But along with criticizing Perry and other gospel play playwrights,the critics should alsotake some pages from the gospel play practitioners and tape their shows like those people;or generally pick up the successful tactics of those practitioners to add to what they are doing. Because if nothing else, you have to give those gospel play directors credit for making a living out of their work.

 
At 1:22 AM, Blogger Lawrence said...

Sorry, but TP's work doesn't impress me. However, his business acumen is absolutely pitch perfect.

 
At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok,I've heard all the opinions about Plays and Storylines and Plots that are weak in Perry's plays and movies. Yet, you all will go and spend money to see SAWI and SAWII, Nightmare on Elm Street, Rush Hours and Fridays
Booty Call. My opinion this is crap that we as Blacks got fed and ate apparently. These people should be criticized as well. Writing is a very difficult process for plays and movies. It is harder because you have such a BROAD AUDIENCE you are trying to reach. You, as a writer want to leave people with messages and food for thought. Perry, has no FORMAL TRAINING AS A WRITER OR DIRECTOR. He has learned everything on the cuff. I believe he will get stronger as a writer and director. He is starting at a disadvantage. I feel that this may be the case with other gospel playwrights as well. Remember, we as Black people have stories to tell. Perry is telling stories from his "life experiences". He uses Madea as a tool to make you listen to the lesson at hand. Perry does it in Comedy fashion. Spike Lee gives it to you as hardcore Drama. Personally, I see the weak as well as the strengths in Perrys plays and movies. The one thing I see as a common theme that I do not see in ANY OTHER MOVIE is "FORGIVENESS". I see that as a positive lesson to learn. Lately,I haven't seen anything positive for the next generations to come.
Much Love to All!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home