Tuesday, January 15, 2008

So I wake up this morning and instead of heading straight to email, I decide to take a more useful route and read the New York Times online [i guess its usefulness is all relative]. However, I decide to read and lo and behold there's an article about Wycleaf Jean, 50 Cent, Timberland, and Mary J. Blige being accused of using steroids to maintain their populist popularity. In other words, if they don't look like big black bucks and sturdy wenches white folks -and blacks either- ain't gonna like them [i'm joking of course, but am i?]

Now, I have never been ghettoized in my musical tastes. Meaning I'd seek out Mozez, the Devics, Lizz Wright before I indulge in a Timberland download any day. But I do find these steroid accusations very interesting. I admit I was being a bit cheeky with the big black buck crazy, but I will say this: the idea of these rappers and R&B singers pumping up the muscles to sell music is pretty daunting. Not that I don't understand Black men in this country have been historically dehumanized, targeted for every anti-social, -democratic, criminal goings-on since Plymouth Rock landed on our prostates; and not that it doesn't take a lot of strength to wake up every morning to find the joy of living in a country that is suspect of every move you make, I'm still surprised at the image of a black man, an artist, greasing himself, sort to speak, stepping up onto that auction block [i mean, stage] and selling music.

I'd love to discuss the plantation mentality of the hip-hop music world, but I won't. I'd love to do a survey and ask women [and men] who strokes their libido more - a muscled black or a black man built like a swimmer and who enjoys documentaries that question humanity, but I won't do that either.

However, I will leave myself with this: Drugs have always been quick-fixers. Tylenol, Pepto, crack-cocaine, offering quick relief from undesired pain [albeit emotional or physical]. And I guess steroids function in the same capacity. They're quick-fixing a black rapper's feeling of social inadequacy. Because the bigger the muscles are, the more the world will fall to their feet in awe, the more they'll be loved [and paid].

If the steroid accusations are true, well, that would be sad. 140 years since the Emancipation and black men still feel obligated to grease themselves up, sort to speak, and step up on that stage and sell their goods to the highest and/or horniest bidder.

We still have much work ahead of us.

Until next time,

Keith

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home