Wednesday, February 22, 2006

I was hanging out in Santa Monica yesterday. Plenty of sun. Blue skies. And a strong ocean salt breeze. Now that's my idea of procrastination. [Trust me, I got plenty of work to do. I have a screenplay to read; one to write, and a play that's anxiously awaiting for its Act Two]. Anyway, I was sniffing around one of my three favorite spots in Santa Monica. Hear Music. The other two are: Broadway Deli and Burke Williams Health Spa [ i almost proposed to the last person who gave me a mind-blowing Swedish massage].

But Hear Music is truly music-topia. I purchased Mozez's CD So Still. MOZEZ is a British kat who reminds you a little of Seal, but more soulful, eclectic, daring with his range. And with lyrics that personally inspire emotional and spiritual revolution.

After I jonzed at Hear, I decided to check out this indie flick on the Third Street Promenade called WINTER PASSING. It stars Will Farrell and Ed Harris. Winter Passing was written and directed by my playwright-friend ADAM RAPP. Adam and I met back in '96 at the Public Theater in NYC when we were part of their Writer's Group that also included Madelene Olnek, Ruth Margraff, Kia Corthron, Carlos Murillo, Brian Freeman, and Diana Son. All of us eager, experimenting with form and truth-telling and boldy complaining we'd rather have a production than a writer's group. Adam and I shared a connection to the midwest: He was born in Illinois, I was born in Ohio. His mother had passed away that year, my mother passed away the year before. He was an outcast; I was an outcast. He loved inventing language. So did I. [Languages that help restore our faith in our individuality and to wipe clean the part of the Midwest that tortured us.]

Winter Passing is Adam's first feature film. And I loved it. It was poetic and simple and edgy and real and dark and very much Adam.

It's so inspiring to see your peers continuing to evolve and be courageous and continue to committ to the art of story telling.
It reminds me of why I'm here, on earth. We must tell our STORIES! No matter what.

Congrats, Adam!

Until next time,

Keith

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home